[Haskell-cafe] Gitter Haskell Community

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Mon Dec 12 18:38:37 UTC 2016

Am 12.12.2016 um 19:27 schrieb Mario Lang:
> Actually, I am afraid most of you have absolutely no idea how bad web
> accessibility has become in the modern days of realtime web-based
> applications.

Actually I do, but I may be talking from a minority position here.

However, It's not about accessibility, it's that webapps have zero
installation overhead and a non-zero barrier between web data and your
personal data; for installed applications, it is the other way round.

 > The digital divide is about to hit really hard with the
> next wave of new technology hype.  HTML + JavaScript was never designed
> to be an application development platform, and forcing it to be one does
> not make the job for assistive technology providers easier, in fact, it
> makes it virtually impossible.

That's one of the things I have been disliking about how the W3C has
been pushing Javascript instead of simply extending the set of standard
controls.
What's also missing is UI design guidelines such as those that have been
established for Mac, Windows, and Linux. Most webapps have a horrid user
experience even for me, who is neither blind nor colorblind nor
mouse-precision-impaired, i.e. usability is bad even for mainstream users.

Regards,
Jo