[Haskell-cafe] Gitter Haskell Community

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Mon Dec 12 18:27:03 UTC 2016

Tomas Carnecky <tomas.carnecky at gmail.com> writes:

> Usability matters. It's easier to tell people to open a browser window and
> point them at a URL than tell them to download an IRC chat client and how
> to connect to the server and...

As someone relying on Accessibility on a daily basis, I notice that this
myth does not apply to me.  As a blind user, working with a
browser-based chat system is definitely less accessible then a native
local client solution using something established and well-tested like IRC.

Actually, I am afraid most of you have absolutely no idea how bad web
accessibility has become in the modern days of realtime web-based
applications.  The digital divide is about to hit really hard with the
next wave of new technology hype.  HTML + JavaScript was never designed
to be an application development platform, and forcing it to be one does
not make the job for assistive technology providers easier, in fact, it
makes it virtually impossible.