[Haskell-cafe] How to report builds...?

Christopher Howard ch.howard at zoho.com
Wed Aug 24 14:53:28 UTC 2016

On 08/24/2016 12:01 AM, Daniel Trstenjak wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 09:32:56PM -0800, Christopher Howard wrote:
>> Hi list. Hackage cannot build my package, because for some reason it
>> will only use base-4.9.0.0, which does not satisfy the dependencies of
>> some of my dependencies. So, I was trying to figure out how to report my
>> own builds. However, when I use the "cabal report" command, cabal take
>> my username and password, and then (so far as I can tell) does nothing.
>> I tried increasing the verbosity, as well as upgrading to the latest
>> version of cabal, but this did not work. And I can seem to find the
>> documentation for this feature. Please advise.
>
> But the first thing you could try is to call cabal with the '--allow-newer'
> option, which allows newer library versions then specified by the
> constraints. This will only work if the newer library versions don't
> containt breaking changes, so it's just a way to get going for the
> moment but no real solution.
>
> About the reporting, there's no other way then to contact every single
> developer of the breaking libraries.

Well, I know the reason it cannot build with base-4.9.0.0: My library is
fully compatible with base (>=4.6 && <4.10), but it depends on the Gloss
library (>=1.7 && <1.10). I cannot use Gloss 1.10, because Gloss 1.10
has a breaking API change on one of the Gloss functions I use in my
library, which I could only get around if I used a lot of conditional
code, which I haven't done yet. However, only Gloss 1.10.* is compatible
with base-4.9.0.0.

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/mars
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/mars-0.2.1.0/reports/

Hackage, it is seems, will only try building with base-4.9.0.0, rather
than reverting to an earlier version and compiler. The package builds
just fine on my system, using an earlier base and compiler. So, I guess
the question is, do I have to further restrict the dependencies of my
library (to exclude 4.9.0.0) just because one of my dependencies cannot
handle that version?

--
https://qlfiles.net
My PGP public key ID is 0x340EA95A (pgp.mit.edu).