[Haskell-cafe] Proposal: (.:) operator in base.

wren romano winterkoninkje at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 05:23:07 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 11:50 AM, Joachim Breitner
<mail at joachim-breitner.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Freitag, den 19.08.2016, 11:16 -0700 schrieb Theodore Lief Gannon:
>> Well... there's that rather worrisome introductory paragraph of the
>> Data.Composition docs, though:
>>
>> "This module is for convenience and demonstrative purposes more than
>> it is for providing actual value. I do not recommend that you rely on
>> this module for performance-sensitive code. Because this module is
>> not based on Prelude's (.), some chances at optimization might be
>> missed by your compiler."
>
> I wonder if that is really something to worry about. Prelude’s (.) is
> not special in any way:

Yes and no. Prelude's (.) is not special in that GHC doesn't identify
it as something that must be treated differently from what's expected
from the definition (as opposed to, say, ($)). However, (.) is
inherently a special case because of performance issues about
closures. For example, whether we define:

    (.) f g = \x -> f (g x)

vs:

    (.) f g x = f (g x)

has ramifications, though it's fairly easy to guess which one of those
two will be most performant. However, it's much less clear which of
the following definitions will be the most performant:

    (.:) = (.) . (.)

    (.:) f g = (f .) . g

    (.:) f g = \x y -> f (g x y)

For the version implemented in pointless-fun:Data.Function.Pointless,
I actually did some benchmarking to determine which was fastest. It is
(a) faster by a surprisingly large margin, and (b) not the one I
expected to be the fastest. I haven't run those benchmarks on the
latest versions of GHC, but that just underscores the point. Because
the performance difference is significant and unexpected, having a
single blessed (and maintained!) definition would be beneficial to
anyone who actually uses this function in production code— whether
that blessed definition is in base or some other library everyone has
and knows about.

--
Live well,
~wren