[Haskell-cafe] Fw: Bikeshedding request for GHCi's :type

Takenobu Tani takenobu.hs at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 12:34:15 UTC 2016

Dear cafe,

I'm forwarding mail from ghc-devs ML [1].

I think `:type` command is very important for beginners and middle users.
Please feedback your opinion to them ;)

[1]: https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2016-April/011933.html

> Hi devs,
>
> Over the weekend, I was pondering the Haskell course I will be teaching
next year and shuddered at having to teach Foldable at the same time as
`length`. So I implemented feature request #10963 (
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/10963), which allows for a way for
a user to request a specialization of a type. It all works wonderfully, but
there is a real user-facing design issue here around the default behavior
of :type and whether or not to add new :type-y like commands. I have
outlined the situation here:
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Design/GHCi/Type

> I'd love some broad input on this issue. If you've got a stake in how
this all works, please skim that wiki page and comment on #10963.

> Thanks!
> Richard

Cheers,
Takenobu