[Haskell-cafe] Emacs (was stack and the Atom editor)

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 12:04:02 UTC 2016

On 12 April 2016 at 21:41, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 5:19 PM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
> <ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 11 April 2016 at 15:03, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > 1. Start in a foo.hs file
>> > 2. Load file
>> > 3. I get the lambda interface
>> >
>> > Instead
>> > M-x run-haskell
>> > I get old interface
>> >

>> > How do I get one uniform interface?
>>
>> By not using run-haskell?
>

> :-)
>
> I figured that much out; viz that even if I dont need a file immediately I
> need to create a dummy hs file and load it.
>

>> I load up a file in Emacs.  I use C-c C-l to load the file (which
>> starts a new project if need be), and C-c C-r to reload it if I've
>> changed it.
>>
>> I do have various customisations enabled (e.g. using
>> structured-haskell-mode) but that's fundamentally how I interact with
>> a ghci process (though ebal is definitely handing for setting up
>> sandboxes and installing dependencies).
>

> Sorry couldn't quite parse last sentence

structured-haskell-mode aims to provide node-based editing support for
Haskell code (ala paredit for Lisps); ebal is another mode that helps
running cabal-install or stack.

Most of the rest of my customisations is more about keybindings (and
various failed experiments like code folding that I tried but no
longer use); haskell-mode is fairly usable out-of-the-box.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com