[Haskell-cafe] Merging the OpenGLRaw and gl packages

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 14:29:12 UTC 2015

After some discussions via email and via the Wiki (
https://github.com/haskell-opengl/OpenGLRaw/wiki/Merging-OpenGLRaw-and-gl),
I've already made a few changes to OpenGLRaw, bringing it closer to 'gl'.
These are fully backwards compatible, because they mainly consist of
improvements in the generated documentation and the addition of various
extension-related retrieval functions. Before I move on and introduce
breaking changes, I'd like to hear some opinions about a few items which
might need some more discussion:

  * Should OpenGLRaw use pattern synonyms? (Probably yes, but note that
this implies GHC >= 7.8.1)

  * Should OpenGLRaw use the 'Half' type from the 'half' package? (Probably
yes, but again this implies GHC 7.8.1)

  * Should the incredibly long 'Graphics.Rendering.OpenGL.Raw' module
prefix be replaced by the more palatable 'Graphics.GL.Raw'? (Probably yes)

More details and other already resolved and/or less controversial items can
be found on the Wiki. The plan is to release a new OpenGLRaw version soon
(3.0), after which Edward and Gabríel Arthúr can deprecate the 'gl' package
(if they like).