[Haskell-cafe] the library of beautiful instruments implemented in haskell / csound

Anton Kholomiov anton.kholomiov at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 09:13:08 UTC 2015

Status update for my haskell synth csound-expression. The main point is
presence of many cool instruments. They are implemented in the package
csound-catalog. All packages are compiled with GHC-7.10 So the hackage
fails to build them and unfortunately docs a broken too. But you can look
at the source code of the module Csound.Patch to now  the names of the
instruments. The usage is pretty straightforward. It's described here:

https://github.com/spell-music/csound-expression/blob/master/tutorial/chapters/Patches.md

There is an mp3 file to listen to the instruments. http://ge.tt/1jNETqN2/v/0

*The 4.8.3 is out! New features:*

This is a very important release to me. It tries to solve the problem
present in the most open source music-production libraries. It's often the
pack of beautiful sounds/timbres is missing. User is presented with many
audio primitives but no timbres are present to show the real power of the
framework. This release solves this problem. See the friend package
csound-catalog on Hackage. It defines 200+ beautiful instruments ready to
be used.

The csound-expression defines a new type called Patch for description of an
instrument with a chain of effects. It's good place to start the journey to
the world of music production.

There are new functions for synchronized reaction on events. The triggering
of events can be synchronized with given BPM.

The library is updated for GHC-7.10!

github repo: https://github.com/spell-music/csound-expression

hackage: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/csound-expression

Cheers!