[Haskell-cafe] Best deployment method for Hakyll websites (with Stack)?

Kyle Marek-Spartz kyle.marek.spartz at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 15:48:09 UTC 2015

Does the web server *need* to be able to compile the website? Building
and serving a static site are separate concerns.

I build my Hakyll sites locally (and just switched some of them to
stack), and deploy just the _site directory to a static content server.

I wrote my own tool to do this with Amazon S3, but you could probably
rsync or scp the files to a public directory on your CentOS web
server. That's what the Hakyll docs suggest:

http://jaspervdj.be/hakyll/reference/Hakyll-Core-Configuration.html

My site.hs:

https://github.com/zeckalpha/kyle.marek-spartz.org/blob/master/site.hs#L247

The tool I wrote:

http://www.celador.mn/widely/

A comparable service that hosts static content:

https://divshot.com/

Nicola Gigante writes:

> Hello,
>
> Note, this is not a Hakyll question, after all.
>
> I’m trying to host a hakyll website on a CentOS 7 server.
> I want to replicate the setup I had with the previous site, made
> with Jekyll: at each push on the git repository (hosted on the same
> server), the branch is recompiled and deployed to the web server.
>
> I already have the git hooks in place etc… The problem is how to
> manage the installation of ghc, hakyll, and their dependencies.
>
> I really really wish to have a clean solution. I really like stack, but
> its “per-user” directories make me wonder. The site compilation has
> to be performed by the git user account, which does not have an
> home directory. Can I setup a stack installation of a set of packages
> and then point stack to use that and only that?
>
> Also, how about the integration with docker? Is it really so painless as
> it is advertised? If I’ve understood correctly, I could install the
> docker image with stackage packages already installed, and tell stack
> to use that image with docker, having the site compilation sandboxed.
> Is it feasible?
>
> Thank you for any advice,
> Nicola

Kyle Marek-Spartz