[Haskell-cafe] GHC Extension Proposal: ArgumentBlock

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 15:31:00 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Michal Antkiewicz <
mantkiew at gsd.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> Ah, sure, yes, they should be kept. I don't care about removing them.
> However, perhaps after some long time (10 years, 15..?) maybe some garbage
> collection of unused pragmas could be done. The same way we remove old CPP
> IFDEFs when we no longer need to support the old compiler or library
> version. This just reduces the complexity of the code.

Doing so would basically rule out compiling versions of the language that
predates the cleanup. Given that I don't see GHC dropping support for
Haskell98 any time soon, this seems more or less an academic concern, or
one for far flung future generations of Haskellers. =)

-Edward