[Haskell-cafe] GHC Extension Proposal: ArgumentBlock

Michal Antkiewicz mantkiew at gsd.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Sep 8 15:18:38 UTC 2015

>> "Haskell 2016 includes the following extensions by default: <list>". And
>> remove the corresponding language pragmas.
>>

> I have no objection to adding such extensions we find warranted to
> Haskell201X, merely to their willy nilly addition to the language without a
> pragma outside of any such a process.
>
> Even for the bits included in Haskell2010 we didn't remove the
> corresponding LANGUAGE pragmas from existence, merely specified that when
> you are using {-# LANGUAGE Haskell2010 #-} or tell cabal to use
> default-language: Haskell2010 then they turn on by default.

Ah, sure, yes, they should be kept. I don't care about removing them.
However, perhaps after some long time (10 years, 15..?) maybe some garbage
collection of unused pragmas could be done. The same way we remove old CPP
IFDEFs when we no longer need to support the old compiler or library
version. This just reduces the complexity of the code.

>> There's no point in holding off everybody down to Haskell 2010. Haskell'
>> is dead, nobody works on the full-blown spec, etc.
>>

> Herbert is in the middle of rebooting the Haskell' process, I wouldn't
> count it out yet.

:-) That's great to hear!

Michał