[Haskell-cafe] GHC can't find DLL dependencies on Windows

lennart spitzner lsp at informatik.uni-kiel.de
Thu Oct 29 10:22:38 UTC 2015

hi Ryan,

As i fought the same battle recently, i will point out one related
thing: If you plan to deploy your program, and copy the necessary dlls
along with it, there can be a strange issue if you miss to copy some
dependencies that are present (with a different version) on the target
system. (presumably they were present due to a ghc install, but i have
not investigated that part).

The error was "The procedure entry point
pthread_cond_timedwait_relative_np could not be located [..]" when
trying to run the compiled executable. Fixed by including more of the
msys/mingw64/bin dlls.

I had tried to determine the dependencies with a different tool; maybe
cygcheck does a better job so this won't arise.

Just thought i'd let you know as i found this annoying to diagnose
(and the googles don't help much).

Lennart