[Haskell-cafe] 'Associative' order of calling

Matteo Acerbi matteo.acerbi at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 17:42:41 UTC 2015

For proof of that, see http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2503778.2503781, which
> establishes as fact the relevant conjecture from Jaskelioff & Rypacek's
> paper.

​Thanks for your clarifying comment, and for the link to this paper: it is
very interesting, indeed.

In my message I was just trying to point to research that looked relevant,
and which seemed to give an answer to at least question 1: for what
concerns the other two questions, I have yet to understand them. :-)

Question 2 seems to assume the existence of a "default" order, but it seems
to me that any such choice would be arbitrary. At least, it seems
impossible to capture the property of being "like a left fold" semantically
as Charles seemed to be wanting ("I was more thinking along the lines of
how the Monad laws are expressed as a side note in the docs"), without
actually specifying a reference order of traversal (for example, in the
form of an instance of Traversable).

For what concerns question 3, I didn't understand the idea of calling a
function "associatively".

Please let me know if I am missing an obvious interpretation.

Best,
Matteo