[Haskell-cafe] Global fixity (our status quo) vs. local fixity

Francesco Ariis fa-ml at ariis.it
Mon Oct 19 20:01:16 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 12:39:04PM -0700, Jeffrey Brown wrote:
> Does anybody else think it would be nice if a library's author had only to
> decide its operators' precedence relative to each other, and could let
> users decide for themselves how fast its operators should bind relative to
> operators from another library?

It is true that fixity is ordinal, not cardinal, but I guess letting the
user decide for themselves how to blend operators from different libraries
could lead to a fragmentation where I will find difficult to
read/interpret your code and viceversa.

Can you make an example where the 10 levels of precedence (plus function
application) wasn't enough for you/other devs?