[Haskell-cafe] Monad of no `return` Proposal (MRP): Moving `return` out of `Monad`

Gregory Collins greg at gregorycollins.net
Tue Oct 6 21:29:53 UTC 2015

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 1:39 PM, Tom Ellis <
tom-lists-haskell-cafe-2013 at jaguarpaw.co.uk> wrote:

> In fact I think all of these apart from the FFI one could be solved with a
> -compat package, could they not?

Who cares? In practice, the programs break and I have to fix them. Most of
the time, CPP is the lowest-friction solution -- if I rely on a -compat
package, first I have to know it exists and that I should use it to fix my
compile error, and then I've added an additional non-platform dependency
that I'm going to have to go back and clean up in 18 months. Usually, to be
honest, *actually* the procedure is that the new RC comes out and I get
github pull requests from hvr@ :-) :-)

many GHC versions anyways?" --- because I don't hate my users, and don't
want to force them to run on the upgrade treadmill if they don't have to?
Our policy is to support the last 4 major GHC versions (or 2 years,
whichever is shorter). And if we support a version of GHC, I want our
libraries to compile on it without warnings, I don't think that should
mystify anyone.

--
Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>