[Haskell-cafe] How to install newest ghcjs-base

Luite Stegeman stegeman at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 21:29:40 UTC 2015

That depends on how you install GHCJS. If you do a release build, starting
from a ghcjs-x.y.z.tar.gz sdist (there are some prereleases out there to be
used with stack), then all libraries are taken from this archive.

If you do a development build (boot with --dev), then the ghcjs-boot
program clones the ghcjs-boot repository, which contains ghcjs-base as a
submodule. The submodule determines exactly which ghcjs-base version you
get.

I've been working on the ghcjs-base library recently, but since I had no
way to automatically test things like WebSocket and XMLHttpRequest, much of
that code has only seen rather spotty testing. I've now updated the GHCJS
testsuite to support automated browser testing through Selenium, so I'll be
adding tests and fixing things soon, and bump the submodule when I feel
reasonably confident that it works.

However, unlike ghcjs-prim, ghcjs-base is a fairly normal package that you
can install in your user package database or in a sandbox (there are still
lots of low-level implementation details in there, so don't expect long
term compiler compatibility, but bugfix updates should be ok). So just
clone a copy and install it if you want to help test (or fix) the changes.

luite