[Haskell-cafe] IDE-backend + Atom editor

Michael Sloan mgsloan at gmail.com
Thu May 14 06:25:41 UTC 2015

Hello!

I don't know if there's any code around integrating atom and ide-backend.
The new work-in-progress School of Haskell implementation directly uses
ide-backend-client.  It turned out to not be very hard to get it working
with GHCJS and using websockets.

In particular, the ide-backend-common[1] package builds with GHCJS!  This
is the package which defines the protocol types and serialization instances.

I needed to modify ide-backend-client a bit to allow me to use it with
websockets.  Since atom is local, maybe ide-backend-client's default of
using stdin / stdout is fine.  However, it might be helpful that my
ide-backend-client branch[2] makes it into a library and allows the caller
to specify actions for sending / receiving messages.  The current state of
that branch also requires a special branch of ide-backend[3].

I'm glad you're interested in this! I'm happy to help out with it!

-Michael

[1] https://github.com/fpco/ide-backend/tree/master/ide-backend-common
[2] https://github.com/mgsloan/ide-backend-client/tree/soh
[3] https://github.com/fpco/ide-backend/tree/soh