[Haskell-cafe] LTS Haskell 2.0: Last call

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Sun Mar 29 09:33:38 UTC 2015

This is the last announcement about the upcoming LTS 2 release, which is
schedule for this Wednesday, April 1 (no joke). For those unfamiliar with
the process: we will essentially be taking that day's Stackage Nightly and
promoting it to LTS 2, and locking down the major versions of all packages
in that package set until LTS 3.

If you'd like to get any additional packages in, please send your pull
requests now[1].

I'd also like to call attention to the current upper bounds issues[2]. If
we can get any of these issues resolved before Wednesday, then newer
versions of the relevant packages can make it into LTS 2. Otherwise, LTS 2
will continue with the old versions. (Alternatively, we can consider
dropping the packages with restrictive upper bounds, if there's demand to
do so.) Things worth pointing out:

* primitive 0.6 is out, and introduces very minimal breaking changes. If
you can get your packages to support the new version (likely with just a
cabal file change), that would be great.
* criterion 1.1 is out. I may simply disable benchmarks on the relevant
users to allow the new version to slip in.
* QuickCheck 2.8 would be a nice addition
* lens 4.8 is blocked on a number of diagrams-* packages and a few others.
I have no idea how complicated the changes are there.
* blaze-builder 0.4 is blocked by snap, and unlikely to unblock in time,
which likely means we'll have two ByteString Builder variants for this
release
* wizards depends on an old control-monad-free

Thanks for everybody's participation!

[1] https://github.com/fpco/stackage#get-your-package-included
[2]
https://github.com/fpco/stackage/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Abounds