[Haskell-cafe] Haskell on RedHat?

Mario Blažević mblazevic at stilo.com
Thu Mar 5 21:41:18 UTC 2015

On 15-03-05 03:47 PM, Tim Docker wrote:
> Which version of RHEL are you wanting to use?

RHEL 6 now, RHEL7 in foreseeable future.

> Some years ago, I wrote this post about getting ghc up and running on RHEL5:
>
> https://twdkz.wordpress.com/2011/12/21/installing-ghc-7-0-3-and-the-haskell-platform-on-rhel-5-6/
>
> It was tedious. I expect that the process is unchanged: you need to find
> the most pre-built ghc binary that will work on your machine, then
> bootstrap up to the ghc version that you need, compiling every second
> ghc major release.

	Not to belittle your contribution, but I'm surprised if this is the
state of the art. I thought Linux was the best-supported Haskell
platform, and RedHat is the dominant Haskell distribution in the
industry. On what platforms do the commercial Haskell shops deploy their
solutions? Don't tell me it's NixOS or Arch Linux.

	Anyway, it appears that for now we'll probably deploy only GHC-built
executables on RedHat, and forgo installing GHC itself. Thank you for
your information.