[Haskell-cafe] Proposal: Shorter Import Syntax

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 19:07:32 UTC 2015

> This was stated unambiguously [...]

Looking back through the thread, this might be a bit of an exaggeration...
;-)

> in the proposal and several times since
> then, but, just to clarify: *there is no possible breakage from this
> change*. In other words, the percentage of Haskell programs that will
> break will not be "much, much higher." It will be 0%. [...]

OK, but even if we reach consensus that the change is worthwhile (for me
it's not), it's still extremely important to make this a language extension
which must be explicitly declared. Otherwise there *will* be heavy breakage
through transitive dependencies, cabal not being able to find an install
plan, etc. As was already noted, not everybody is using the latest and
greatest GHC (often for a good reason).

So in a nutshell: -0.5 from me if it's a language extension, -1000 if it's
on by default.