[Haskell-cafe] Why is the no tuple syntax for sum types

Silvio Frischknecht silvio.frischi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 15:35:21 UTC 2015

> I doubt whether this would work so well for errors, as I think we
> would want to be able to combine the values of fallible terms such as
> to combine the possible errors associatively and commutatively, and
> these sum tuples would not. The non-associativity of product tuples
> sometimes bites me already in other use cases.

Yeah I agree tuples are not very nice to work with because you can't
recurse over them. I guess it would be cool to have them internally
represented similar to this.

http://stackoverflow.com/a/25609890/1117884

But even without this, tuples are useful and I think sum tuples would be
similarly useful.

Doing things explicitly/manually is not always a bad thing.

Silvio