[Haskell-cafe] [GHC 7.8.4] IO Monad leak space?

Tom Ellis tom-lists-haskell-cafe-2013 at jaguarpaw.co.uk
Fri Jul 3 21:41:45 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 03, 2015 at 06:00:48PM +0000, Baojun Wang wrote:
> My concerns is ~80% alloc happens in f3, but both array is allocated by
> newArray? Since I'm using unboxed array I'm not expecting this kind of
> laziness.

I see.  You seem to be asking why it is allocating *at all*.  That's not
a phenomenon that normally falls under the terminology of "space leak",
hence my confusion.

I'm not an expert at reading Core, but I spent some time looking at it
without seeing anywhere that would obviously allocate a lot.  Eventually I
decided to supply the profiling options to ghc-core and lo and behold the
output changed dramatically!

Unless I am very much misunderstanding how cost centre annotations work, the
amount of allocation without -auto-all is only 10% of the amount with it.
Please check and let me know if you concur that it is the profiling itself
that is the root cause of all the allocation!

Tom