[Haskell-cafe] The amount of CPP we have to use is getting out of hand

Erik Hesselink hesselink at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 14:36:04 UTC 2015

I agree in principle, however, I'm not sure how feasible it is in
practice. I quickly grepped through some of our (internal and public)
packages and checked why we need CPP (I only checked MIN_VERSION_foo
macros):

data type change: 11
newly added function/type: 6
added instance: 4
function change/rename: 3
function remove: 1
deprecated function: 1

As you can see, most instances are either data type changes (these are
almost all in template haskell or haskell-src-exts) or newly added
functions where we also want to support old versions without the
function. So avoiding function changing or removing would reduce the
CPP usage in our case by about 15%, which is welcome, but doesn't
really change anything fundamental. For data type changes, I don't
really see an alternative: if new features are added the AST changes,
the AST type changes. For additions of functions, I guess we could use
a local definition even for newer versions, but that makes it less
clear when you can remove it. For instance additions, I again see no
alternative.

So while I think we can do slightly better, and I would love it if
that happened, it's probably not going to be significant.

Erik

P.S. Just to add some more data, here's the packages where CPPing for:

   9 base
   7 template_haskell
   4 network
   4 haskell_src_exts