[Haskell-cafe] Why Haskell is beautiful to the novice

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Mon Aug 31 03:48:16 UTC 2015

On 29/08/2015, at 5:37 am, Silvio Frischknecht <silvio.frischi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Why do you think that manipulating arrays is a better skill to teach
>> to kids than manipulating linked lists?
>
> What about double linked lists then. Most updatable data structures are
> just clumsy in Haskell.

Doubly linked lists are an exotic advanced data structure
which are appropriate *FAR* less often (and I'm thinking of
imperative languages like Pascal, C, Ada, &c here) than
people who have been taught them believe.

I've sometimes thought that teaching doubly linked lists in
CS1 or CS2 should be a punishable offence.