[Haskell-cafe] Location Of Prelude.hs

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 17:03:33 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 12:54 PM, <debdutk at gnulinuxed.tk> wrote:

> I was reading the book "The Haskell Road to Logic, Math and Programming"
> and it refers to /usr/lib/hugs/libraries/Hugs/ as the probable location for
> Prelude.hs. I am currently using Elementary OS Luna (based of Ubuntu 12.04)
> and could not file the file at the specified location. Can anyone please
> tell me where to find it?

Hugs is obsolete and unmaintained, so you are unlikely to find that
anywhere.

ghc compiles, where Hugs is an interpreter, so it does not come with
Prelude source.

The API documentation gives me a link to
http://lambda.haskell.org/platform/doc/current/ghc-doc/libraries/haskell2010-1.1.1.0/src/Prelude.html
(syntax-highlighted source). Beyond that you'd need to get the source to
ghc; note that there will be three different Prelude sources (haskell98
standard, haskell2010 standard, and ghc's default behavior) and that all
three are largely built from parts imported from elsewhere.