[Haskell-cafe] an idea for modifiyng data/newtype syntax: use `::=` instead of `=`

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 21:46:51 UTC 2015

On Sat, Aug 8, 2015 at 5:27 PM, Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga at gmail.com>
wrote:

> So when is it okay? :-) Still, if proper tooling automates it, why not?

Because your tooling does not rewire people's brains and does not
automatically run itself on other people's programs when you *look* at them.

Because not everyone builds houses of cards and leaves them to collapse on
their successor while they go chase the next cool thing, like certain
modern "web programmers" who seems to have confused "agile" with "fragile"
and therefore think Go rewriting its syntax every week is somehow sensible.
And not everyone *can* do things the
zero-memory-change-it-all-who-cares-it'll-all-be-different-next-week way;
that does not fly on the business end, for example. (I've had people claim
to me that they do that with accounting packages. I bet they've never faced
an audit and will be learning the hard way why business does not work that
way when the auditors *do* show up.)