[Haskell-cafe] an idea for modifiyng data/newtype syntax: use `::=` instead of `=`

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 21:03:01 UTC 2015

On Sat, Aug 8, 2015 at 4:59 PM, MigMit <miguelimo38 at yandex.ru> wrote:

> > So, in the end, the idea will probably be shot down -- but please, let's
> shoot
> > it down for a good reason, with a clear, irrefutable understanding of
> why.
>
> The reason is very simple, and it was stated several times already: it
> will break everything that was written so far, and there is not enough
> evidence that things would be even a little better.

This is quite important, folks. Don't tell us how tools will mitigate this.
Go look at Python 3's adoption rate --- and it does have the tools --- and
tell me again how well that path works for an established language. (Hint:
every Python package I use has no intention of moving to Python 3.)

Haskell may be new to you personally. That does not mean that it's okay to
break what, more than 15 years worth of code?