[Haskell-cafe] an idea for modifiyng data/newtype syntax: use `::=` instead of `=`

MigMit miguelimo38 at yandex.ru
Sat Aug 8 20:59:55 UTC 2015

> One moment, please, the good reason has been provided -- newbie confusion.

I'm really happy that we are at the stage when this is considered an important source of newbie confusion in Haskell.

> So, in the end, the idea will probably be shot down -- but please, let's shoot
> it down for a good reason, with a clear, irrefutable understanding of why.

The reason is very simple, and it was stated several times already: it will break everything that was written so far, and there is not enough evidence that things would be even a little better.

In fact, moving to dynamic typing would a) break less existing code (could be none, if done carefully), and b) remove A LOT of newbie confusion, but for some reason I don't think it's a good idea either.