[Haskell-cafe] Improvements to package hosting and security

Jeremy voldermort at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 30 07:08:00 UTC 2015

Mathieu Boespflug-4 wrote
> We're not introducing dependencies on dynamically linked system libraries
> that makes tooling hard to distribute. We're not asking users to install
> anything new that isn't already a staple of most developer desktops

My sole concern with this is that git is often not present on build servers,
which may be minimal cloud VMs. Here's what I get when I try to install git
on mine:

# apt install git --no-install-recommends
  git git-man libcurl3-gnutls liberror-perl libexpat1 libgdbm3 perl
perl-modules
0 upgraded, 8 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 10.4 MB of archives.
After this operation, 57.2 MB of additional disk space will be used.

Not unbearable, but not insignificant either.