[Haskell-cafe] Is there a name for this algebraic structure?

Kyle Marek-Spartz kyle.marek.spartz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 17:00:02 UTC 2015

A CRDT may be a commutative semi-group, where the operation is merge.

Given two conflicting versions, the merge operation yields an updated
version.

Associativity is important for this use case since one does not know the
order that versions will be reconciled.

Commutativity is important for this use case since version A merged with
version B should be the same as version B merged with version A.

Hopefully this helps.

Kyle Marek-Spartz