[Haskell-cafe] Improvements to package hosting and security

amindfv at gmail.com amindfv at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 18:32:48 UTC 2015

A couple quick points:

- The IHG proposal is partly motivated by staying backwards-compatible, but I think we shouldn't put a premium on this. Non-https versions of cabal should imo be deprecated once there's an alternative, so most people will need to upgrade anyway. We can run an "old-hackage" instance for those who can't.

- To the extent that it doesn't become an impedence mismatch, deduplicating effort with revision control systems (e.g.  git) seems very desirable:

a) It can reduce maintainers' work -- e.g. It's probably a long road getting maintainers to all sign their packages and others' revisions, but the majority are already doing this with git.

b) It's easier to trust -- the amount of vetting and hardening is orders of magnitude more, and Cabal/cabal-install is already a complex machine

c) It's already been built -- including (conservatively) hundreds of security corner-cases that would need to be built/maintained/trusted (see "it's easier to trust")

Nix is an example of a package manager that very succesfully defers part of its workload to git and other vcs.

Tom