[Haskell-cafe] Improvements to package hosting and security

Duncan Coutts duncan at well-typed.com
Thu Apr 16 16:02:38 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-04-16 at 14:39 +0200, Mathieu Boespflug wrote:
> I'd like to step back from the technical discussion here for a moment
> and expand a bit on a point at the end of my previous email, which is
> really about process.

I should apologise for not publishing our design earlier. To be fair I
did mention several times on the commercialhaskell mailing list earlier
this year that we were working on an index signing based approach.

Early on in the design process we did not appreciate how much TUF
overlaps with a GPG-author-signing based approach, we had thought they
were much more orthogonal.

My other excuse is that I was on holiday while much of the recent design
discussion on Chris and your proposals had been going on.

And finally, writing up comprehensible explanations is tricky and time
consuming.

By ultimately these are just excuses. We do always intend to do things
openly in a collaborative way, the Cabal and hackage development is
certainly open in that way, and we certainly never hold things back as
closed source. In this case Austin and I have been doing intensive
design work, and it was easier for us to do that between ourselves
initially given that we're doing it on work time. I accept that we
should have got this out earlier, especially since it turns out the
other designs do have some overlap in terms of goals and guarantees.

> Ok, end of meta point, I for one am keen to dive back into the
> technical points that have been brought up in this thread already. :)

Incidentally, having read your post on splitting things up a bit when I
got back from holiday, I agree there are certainly valid complaints
there. I'm not at all averse to factoring the hackage-server
implementation slightly differently, perhaps so that the core index and
package serving is handled by a smaller component (e.g. a dumb http
server). For 3rd party services, the goal has always been for the
hackage-server impl to provide all of its data in useful formats. No
doubt that can be improved. Pull requests gratefully accepted.

I see this security stuff as a big deal for the reliability because it
will allow us to use public untrusted mirrors. That's why it's important
to cover every package. That and perhaps a bit of refactoring of the
hackage server should give us a very reliable system.

--
Duncan Coutts, Haskell Consultant