[Haskell-cafe] Coding katas/dojos and functional programming introduction

Gautier DI FOLCO gautier.difolco at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 22:28:21 UTC 2015

> Well, functional programming is very much like an elephant.

I have the same thought about OOP some years ago, them I discovered then
first meaning of it and all was so clear and simple. My goal isn't to teach
the full power of FP, my goal is to give them inspiration, to suggest that
there is a wider world to explore.

> As such, maps and folds are simple, easy-to-understand higher order
> functions that you can plug other functions into. But such discussions
> tend to highlight map/fold, not how you build the functions that get
> plugged into them.

That my main concern.

> To me, a better example would be one of the combinator-based parsing
> libraries. Say Text.XML.Cursor, as in the School of Haskell tutorial
> at
> https://www.fpcomplete.com/school/starting-with-haskell/libraries-and-frameworks/text-manipulation/tagsoup

I'll have a look but parsing is a bit too "magic" I think.

> The first exercise I did when I learned Haskell some 8 years ago was
> re-implement all of the list functions in the Prelude, based on the types
> and documentation.

Good idea, I have also done the NICTA repository and if was a nice
training.