[Haskell-cafe] Static executables in minimal Docker containers

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Mon Apr 13 09:11:14 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 12:07 PM Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org>
wrote:

> On 13 April 2015 at 10:54, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to put together a minimal Docker container consisting of
> nothing
> > but GHC-compiled static executables. Below you can see a full interaction
> > I've had with GHC and Docker. The high level summary is that:
> >
> > * When compiled statically, the executable runs just fine in both my
> host OS
> > (Ubuntu 14.04) and an Ubuntu 14.04 Docker image
> > * That same executable run from a busybox (or a "scratch" image, not
> shown
> > here since it's slightly longer to set up) hangs and then runs out of
> memory
>
> From what I remember busybox allows for quite a bit of
> configurability, so "a busybox" might need a bit more details mabye.
>
> Have you attempted running it under `strace` and/or `ltrace`?

Sorry, I left off a word: I meant "a busybox image." There's a standard
busybox Docker image which I'm testing with via the command I pasted below.
There are certainly ways to configure busybox itself, but it should be
trivial for others to reproduce this error simply by running my series of
commands.

Unfortunately, strace and ltrace aren't available in that Docker image, but
it's a good idea to see if I can get them running there somehow.

Michael