[Haskell-cafe] Multicast receiver thread fails to receive last few messages

Benno Fünfstück benno.fuenfstueck at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 16:44:19 UTC 2014

I think the problem here is that the receiver thread never gets a chance to
run. Because the send loop doesn't perform any allocations and the GHC
scheduler only switches threads when allocations occur, the receiver thread
never runs and thus the packets just get queued up (and after a certain
amount of data, the queue is full so packets are dropped). The fix is to
explicitly `yield` to the other thread, so it gets a chance to run too:

import Control.Concurrent (yield)

let sendMulticast msg = do
            sendTo sendSock msg addr
            yield

The `threadDelay` call had the same effect as the yield. This also explains
why the file size matters.

--
Benno