[Haskell-cafe] Hackage inconsistent? (pandoc.cabal in 1.13.1)

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Fri Oct 31 10:11:31 UTC 2014

Sorry to jump into this thread at a random point.

There's another aspect to this discussion that hasn't been brought up.
Imagine that I release a package bar-1.0.0.0, that depends on:

    build-depends: base, foo >= 1.1

Then, suppose foo-1.2 is released and bar-1.0.0.0 is incompatible. If you
simply release a new version of bar with a stricter upper bound, cabal may
decide to install the original bar-1.0.0.0 together with foo-1.2, which
will lead to a broken build. Blackling the package is the theoretical
solution to this problem, but may not work correctly[1]. However, by
overwriting the original cabal file with a tweaked one, cabal will be able
to make a more sensible decision.

I'm not trying to advocate anything in particular here, just point out an
aspect of the discussion that I think has been missed.

[1] https://github.com/haskell/cabal/issues/1792