[Haskell-cafe] Hackage inconsistent? (pandoc.cabal in 1.13.1)

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Thu Oct 30 11:21:55 UTC 2014

Hi Erik,

 >> What is important is that it's possible to distinguish the edited
 >> version from the original one. As of now, users cannot tell which
 >> variant of the package they've installed.
 >
 > Why is this important? I believe there is no difference between two
 > revisions after they're installed, at least not currently, since
 > you're only allowed to edit dependency version ranges [...].

suppose my application foo-1.0 depends on bar >= 1.0, but it turns out
that bar-1.0 has a bug that's fixed in version 1.0.1. So I edit foo-1.0
to depend on bar > 1.0 instead. Now, a user of foo-1.0 sends me an
e-mail and complains about crashes in my code.

At that point, I cannot know whether he's using bar >= 1.0 or bar > 1.0,
because the version number of foo didn't change after the edit.

Best regards,
Peter