[Haskell-cafe] Hackage inconsistent? (pandoc.cabal in 1.13.1)

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 11:14:55 UTC 2014

On 30 October 2014 22:09, Erik Hesselink <hesselink at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 12:01 PM, Peter Simons <simons at cryp.to> wrote:
>> aren't very important. What is important is that it's possible to
>> distinguish the edited version from the original one. As of now, users
>> cannot tell which variant of the package they've installed.
>
> Why is this important? I believe there is no difference between two
> revisions after they're installed, at least not currently, since
> you're only allowed to edit dependency version ranges, and perhaps
> some informational fields.

* For people doing cabal -> foo converters to know that there _is_ a
newer version

* "Oh, wait, I can't update the version of library foo because I've
got the latest available version of bar and it doesn't support the new
version of foo" without knowing there's a (pseudo-) newer version
which _does_ allow the newer version of foo.