[Haskell-cafe] Hackage inconsistent? (pandoc.cabal in 1.13.1)

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Oct 27 21:39:12 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 12:30:03PM -0700, John MacFarlane wrote:
> I must say, I did pause a bit before making this change to pandoc on
> Hackage, precisely because I realized that the cabal file in the
> package would not match the one on Hackage.
>
> But I went ahead, assuming that if the means were provided to make
> this kind of change, it should be okay.
>
> It is time-consuming for me to make a proper pandoc release.  I need
> to write up release notes, rebuild the website, generate and test
> the binary packages on various different platforms, upload to github
> releases and Hackage, send announcement emails, etc.  Even with
> automation this all takes work.  I'd rather not have to do this
> every time a version bound changes on a dependent package, so I like
> this way of making minor tweaks to version bounds; I hope I can be
> persuaded that it's not a bad idea.

I can fully appreciate the usefulness of the feature; most of the
patches I make to package Haskell packages for Archlinux is of the
kind that modifies dependency restrictions.

I've read through the discussion at
https://github.com/haskell/hackage-server/issues/52 but I see no one
arguing for making this change a bit less intrusive and more opt-in
for tools, e.g. by keeping 00-index as it's always been and then
putting the Hackage edits of .cabals in an overlay (an 01-index).
Has this been up for proposed/discussed somewhere else?

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

As long as there are ill-defined goals, bizarre bugs, and unrealistic
schedules, there will be Real Programmers willing to jump in and Solve The
Problem, saving the documentation for later.  Long live Fortran!
     -- Ed Post