[Haskell-cafe] Hackage inconsistent? (pandoc.cabal in 1.13.1)

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Oct 27 21:22:00 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 08:48:16PM +0100, Erik Hesselink wrote:
> I was a bit hesitant about using this feature as well. We've had
> some confusion when we used it [1][2][3]. The Nix guys also seem to
> be having some trouble fitting it into their workflow [4]. But in
> [1] I did a quick grep to see how many packages used the feature,
> and there are already quite a lot. There is an 'x-revision' property
> added to the cabal file in the index, so in theory I guess tools
> could learn to deal with it.

Personally I would have liked the feature more if a change to tools
had been required in order to take advantage of the modified .cabal.

> In general I think the biggest win for this feature is not even in
> relaxing bounds, but in tightening them when it turns out they're
> too loose. Previously cabal was always free to pick an old,
> unconstrained version and would often do so, leading to type errors
> during builds.

I gather this means that cabal-install has been modified to (or maybe it
always has) replace the in-tar-ball .cabal with the .cabal from the
00-index.  Is that correct?

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

In a hierarchy, every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence.
     -- The Peter Principle