[Haskell-cafe] Hackage inconsistent? (pandoc.cabal in 1.13.1)

Erik Hesselink hesselink at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 19:48:16 UTC 2014

I was a bit hesitant about using this feature as well. We've had some
confusion when we used it [1][2][3]. The Nix guys also seem to be
having some trouble fitting it into their workflow [4]. But in [1] I
did a quick grep to see how many packages used the feature, and there
are already quite a lot. There is an 'x-revision' property added to
the cabal file in the index, so in theory I guess tools could learn to
deal with it.

In general I think the biggest win for this feature is not even in
relaxing bounds, but in tightening them when it turns out they're too
loose. Previously cabal was always free to pick an old, unconstrained
version and would often do so, leading to type errors during builds.

Erik

[1] https://github.com/silkapp/rest/issues/57
[2] https://github.com/silkapp/aeson-utils/issues/1
[3] https://github.com/silkapp/json-schema/issues/12