[Haskell-cafe] Precise timing

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 21:11:42 UTC 2014

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 3:44 PM, Jeffrey Brown <jeffbrown.the at gmail.com>
wrote:

> You mean I should call chrt from the command line after starting the
> process, to modify its priority?

Normally you'd use it to run the program. But, as I said at least twice,
it's Linux specific.

> This documentation
> <http://hackage.haskell.org/package/posix-realtime-0.0.0.1/src/System/Posix/Realtime/RTSched.hsc> for
> the posix-realtime package
> <https://hackage.haskell.org/package/posix-realtime> says that it has a
> sched_setscheduler function. That supposedly exists on my OS (OS X 10.9).
> The chrt command, on the other hand,

Does it warn you that you need privileges (probably root) to switch to a
higher scheduler level? Normally realtime and other high priority
schedulers require elevated privileges, whereas lower priority schedulers
such as SCHED_IDLE don't.

I should note that I see no manpage for sched_setscheduler on 10.9.5, nor
do I find it in any of the dylibs in /usr/lib.