[Haskell-cafe] Cryptographically secure random numbers?

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Sun Oct 5 16:27:39 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'm in a situation where I have to generate cryptographically secure
random UUIDs, i.e. ones that cannot feasibly be guessed/predicted.

Does anyone know what options there are in this space?

Ideally, I'd like to fulfill as many of these points as possible:

- Few big/complicated dependencies.
- Avoid native C if possible (ditto for non-base dependencies).
- Avoid RDRAND if possible.
- Non-opaque UUID type.
- Cross-platform if possible, but the main platform would be Linux.

(Generating a UUID from a random stream would be trivial, so obviously a
library for secure random numbers would be a-okay too.)

Any suggestions?