[Haskell-cafe] Domain specific error messages

Artyom yom at artyom.me
Sun Nov 23 19:42:18 UTC 2014

On 11/23/2014 09:01 PM, Alberto G. Corona wrote:

    It is so evident that this is THE problem of Haskell

Unfortunately, it’s not evident. Note that I’m /not/ saying it’s not
“the” problem of Haskell; merely that

  *

    I consider myself to be somewhat intelligent

  *

    and – without having put much thought into this question – I don’t
    find it evident at all that the incomprehensibility of error
    messages arising when using DSLs is “probably the biggest barrier
    for the acceptance of Haskell on Industry”

Therefore, unless you’re sure for some reason that I’m an outlier and
the majority of programmers /do/ find it evident but prefer to pretend
they don’t (for pragmatic, evil, or other reasons), I would suggest
writing an article attempting to persuade the community that it’s indeed
a major problem – or, better yet, the problem which has the biggest
utility/complexity-of-implementation ratio. I remember that what got me
into Haskell was simply a handful of “mind-blowing” examples – an easily
readable parser in a few lines of code, the elegance of |map| versus a
|for| loop, things like that. A post with side-by-side comparisons of
real-world GHC error messages arising when working with various DSLs
(parsec, attoparsec, blaze, binary, diagrams, etc.) vs. mockups of
improved error messages, alongside with a section describing the current
research done in this direction and outlining general ideas/concepts,
would probably do the trick.

​