[Haskell-cafe] Cabal, tar and uploading to Hackage

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon May 26 17:25:42 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 06:52:30PM +0300, Yitzchak Gale wrote:
> Magnus Therning wrote:
>> Lately my attempts at creating tar-balls for uploading to Hackage
>> have been failing.  I use the standard `./Setup.hs sdist` method to
>> generate tar-balls, but apparently that uses `/usr/bin/tar` (GNU
>> tar), which defaults to the 'gnu' format, while Hackage requires
>> the 'ustar' format.
>
> Is there some special reason why you use Setup.hs for this?

Because using tar directly is a bit too much work.

> I'm not sure why you say that is the "standard". From what I
> understand, the standard way has been cabal dist for quite some
> time.

Maybe it's not 'the' standard any longer, but it surely is 'a'
standard, since it's what tools like `cabal` has to fall back on when
a package has a non-trivial Setup.hs.

> Are you using a custom Setup.hs (which often results in problems and
> should be avoided unless absolutely necessary), and have you checked
> that cabal dist doesn't do the right thing?

No, I'm not using a non-standard Setup.hs, but I have so far not had
any use for `cabal` since I'm on a platform with a real package
manager.

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have
C++ in mind.
     -- Alan Kay