[Haskell-cafe] Cabal, tar and uploading to Hackage

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Mon May 26 15:52:30 UTC 2014

Magnus Therning wrote:
> Lately my attempts at creating tar-balls for uploading to Hackage have
> been failing.  I use the standard `./Setup.hs sdist` method to
> generate tar-balls, but apparently that uses `/usr/bin/tar` (GNU tar),
> which defaults to the 'gnu' format, while Hackage requires the
> 'ustar' format.

Is there some special reason why you use Setup.hs for this?

I'm not sure why you say that is the "standard". From what I understand,
the standard way has been cabal dist for quite some time.

Are you using a custom Setup.hs (which often results in problems and
should be avoided unless absolutely necessary), and have you
checked that cabal dist doesn't do the right thing?

Regards,
Yitz