[Haskell-cafe] OpenGL performance issue on OSX

Jason Dagit dagitj at gmail.com
Thu May 22 20:39:11 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Michael Baker <michaeltbaker at gmail.com>wrote:

> You're expecting too much from your graphics hardware. The total area of
>>  the triangles that you are drawing covers approximately 80 million pixels
>> (they overlap a lot). If one uses non-overlapping triangles (with a total
>> area close to 60k pixels)
>

> Ah, ok. So the problem is that I'm trying to render too many fragments,
> rather than too many triangles. So if I had a lot of small triangles, or a
> few big ones, I would be fine. However, I've got a lot of big ones, which
> is slow. I'll try reducing the total area of the triangles I'm rendering.
> Is there some benchmark or tool I could have used to figure that out?
> Something that would show me the time spent filling fragments vs the time
> spent processing triangles vs time spent uploading data to the graphics
> card?

This looks like a decent list of options:
http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Debugging_Tools

This SO question looks promising:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12640841/did-someone-succeed-in-using-opengl-profiler-on-mountain-lion

In particular, I think you can attach the OSX opengl profiler to a process:
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/GraphicsImaging/Conceptual/OpenGLProfilerUserGuide/GettedStarted/GettingStarted.html