[Haskell-cafe] OpenGL performance issue on OSX

Michael Baker michaeltbaker at gmail.com
Thu May 22 20:29:20 UTC 2014

> You're expecting too much from your graphics hardware. The total area of
> the triangles that you are drawing covers approximately 80 million pixels
> (they overlap a lot). If one uses non-overlapping triangles (with a total
> area close to 60k pixels)

Ah, ok. So the problem is that I'm trying to render too many fragments,
rather than too many triangles. So if I had a lot of small triangles, or a
few big ones, I would be fine. However, I've got a lot of big ones, which
is slow. I'll try reducing the total area of the triangles I'm rendering.
Is there some benchmark or tool I could have used to figure that out?
Something that would show me the time spent filling fragments vs the time
spent processing triangles vs time spent uploading data to the graphics
card?