[Haskell-cafe] Templates as typeclasses?

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Fri May 9 05:32:33 UTC 2014

I don't see it. Hamlet et al are similar to other Haskell web template
system, which means similar to most other web template systems, except with
better typing.  The result of compiling a template isn't a type, nor is it
a function of any kind - it's just data. The type of that data varies a
little depending on the content, but can be identical for different
templates, so there's no unique type for a template as there is with
Cheetah. While the static typing one finds in haskell web template systems
is better than the dynamic typing in Cheetah and other templates based on
dynamically typed languages, that's inside the templates. The objects
generated by the templates don't do much of anything to let the application
author leverage the type system, which is what makes Cheetah stand out from
other web template systems.