[Haskell-cafe] Templates as typeclasses?

Kyle Marek-Spartz kyle.marek.spartz at gmail.com
Thu May 8 23:44:38 UTC 2014

You may be interested in http://hackage.haskell.org/package/shakespeare

–
Kyle Marek-Spartz

On May 8, 2014, 6:18:02 PM, Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:
In going over yet again the many failings of template frameworks for building web apps, I recalled some of the features of the best of the lot, and wondered if those features might be useful in a Haskell template framework.

Python's Cheetah tool makes templates almost fully functional members of Python's OO system.  A template can inherit from a Python class or another template, and a Python class can inherit from a template.

Which makes me wonder if something similar might not be useful in a Haskell template framework. Possibly have each template create an appropriate  datatype and make it as an instance of the Template typeclass (and possibly others).

Is there already a Haskell web framework that does something like this? Would it actually add value to a framework?

Thanks,
Mike